1. As temperatures dip lower, bring your focus inward by rearranging your furniture. If you have a fireplace, pull pieces in toward the center of the room and face them toward the hearth to create a cozy gathering spot for winter entertaining. Extra pillows and throws add warmth even without a roaring fire.
2. Avoid the winter blues by infusing your spaces with pops of cheery color. A bright throw or a boldly patterned pillow will do the trick, and will ensure your neutral spaces don’t look stark and cold.
3. With the shorter days, it’s time to maximize what natural light is still available. Hanging a large mirror on a blank stretch of wall or above a mantel display will reflect light throughout your space. Turn the mirror into a decorative display by painting the frame an eye-catching color.
4. Even kitchens need a little TLC during the winter months. Adding bold window treatments to your kitchen windows, for instance, cherry red curtains, will keep your workspace feeling warm and inviting. Create your own by purchasing a yard of fabric in the color or pattern of your choice, hemming the raw edges, and using clip-style curtain rings over rods.
5. Similar to winter fashion, winter decorating is all about layering on the fabrics. Cozy your dining room up for the season by covering your chairs with simple slipcovers. Slipcovered chairs add warmth and style to this neutral dining room and can be easily taken off for a quick cleaning after a family dinner or gathering with friends.
6. Give your bedroom a quick style update and prepare it for the season by layering in textured bedding, throws, and pillows. A luxurious cashmere throw and soft velvet bed pillows could turn a bedroom into a cozy refuge from those harsh winter winds.
7. Although wood floors create a sophisticated style statement year-round, you’ll need to cozy them up for the cold winter months. A fluffy area rug sets off this living room’s main seating area and adds warmth and texture underfoot. For a unique style statement, layer one rug on top of another to add more visual interest.
8. Layer in a few extra throw pillows for a quick winter style update. Playful patterns and bold hues stand out against dark wood furnishings. Choose accent pillows in colors and patterns that match your existing decor to ensure you don’t have to make any more decor adjustments.
9. A window seat offers the perfect perch for everything from an afternoon nap to a day spent lost in a good book. Keep your window seats cozy by bulking them up with fluffy seat cushions and pillows. If space permits, use under-seat storage to house blankets for the season.
10. Although decor and accessories can go a long way toward cozying up your home, it’s important to fill it with the scents of the season, too. A fragrant bowl of potpourri — in a wintry scent such as cinnamon, pine needles, or evergreen — can do the trick and will fill your home with seasonal cheer. Display the arrangement prominently on a mantel or in a casual dining room as a center piece.